Video games continue to make headlines with the releases of new gaming systems and new anticipated games. Today there are many different types of video games and video game systems including:
- Console gaming, such as the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, or Wii U
- Handheld gaming, such as the Nintendo 3DS
- PC gaming, played on a computer
- Online gaming, including MMOs (massively multiplayer online games)
- Mobile gaming, such as those played on a smartphone or tablet
Regardless of the platform, youth are still playing games. In 2010 the Kaiser Family Foundation conducted a study of kids ages 8-18 and found out that:
- 87% have a video game console in their homes
- 50% have a console in their bedroom
- Spend an average of 1 hour and 13 minutes playing video games
Why are video games so popular?
Research shows that video games are popular, but why do kids enjoy these games so much? Motivations behind video game playing vary depending on the youth, but research shows that video games allow youth to escape their problems; to try on different personalities; to socialize; and to engage in challenging and reward-based experiences.
Scientific research has shown time and again that children learn from what they see on a screen…
As with the negative effects of video games, the same principle applies: scientific research…
To help your child use video games safely, CMCH recommends that you consider the following tips…