Reducing the energy you use to power electronics can help save money and the planet! Here are some tips.
How to reduce energy use with your current electronics:
- Reduce phantom loads: Many electronics continue to use a small amount of power even when they are switched off. Unplug anything you think you won’t use for a while.
- Unplug chargers: Unplug the chargers to you use to power your personal electronics after they batteries are fully charged.
- Turn off computers: If your computer will be unused for more than 20 minutes, shut off the monitor. If it will be unused for more than 2 hours, shut down the entire computer.
- See other tips from the US Department of Energy
How to purchase energy efficient electronics:
- Search for electronics certified by Energy Star:
- Are LCD or plasma televisions more energy efficient? Check out this video to find out: