Here is a list of published and upcoming titles of interest on the topics of children, media, and health. Please let us know about any new books you would like to see highlighted in the future!
- Children and the Internet (2009) by Sonia Livingstone
This new book addresses pressing questions such as: Is the internet really transforming children and young people's lives? And, is the so-called 'digital generation' genuinely benefiting from exciting new opportunities?
- Reclaiming Childhood: Freedom and Play in an Age of Fear (2009) by Helene Guldberg
The author argues that parents need to allow children to grow and flourish, to balance sensible guidance with youthful independence. That means letting children play, experiment, and mess around without adults hovering over them.
- Harm and Offense in Media Content -Second Edition (2009) by Sonia Livingstone and Andrea Millwood
This fully revised edition offers a unique and comprehensive analysis of the latest research on the media's potential for harm, especially in relation to children.
- WATCH IT! (2009) by by Mary Strom Larson
The author highlights the likely consequences of kids consuming television ad other media without adult intervention.
- Serious Games: Mechanisms and Effects (2009) by Ute Ritterfeld, Michael Cody and Peter Vorderer
The central purpose of this book is to examine critically the claim that playing games can provide learning that is deep, sustained and transferable to the "real world."