Posted

Fireworks

CMCH is ringing in the new year by compiling a list of our readers’ media resolutions for 2009. We hope that they help you come up with practical ideas for making your family’s media use the most positive experience it can be. To submit your own media resolution, please comment on this post.

We asked those who have written Parent Perspectives for our Parents’ Newsletter to submit their resolutions to help us get the ball rolling. Here are some that we’ve received so far:

Beth: “I will learn how to set the one-hour automatic shut-off parental controls feature on our XBox 360.”

Nanami: “One night each week will be a storytelling night where everyone gets a chance to tell a story to the family.”

We look forward to your contribution!

12 Responses to “Our Readers’ New Year’s Media Resolutions”

1. Brandy

Since my son is just 5 months old, my resolution is to follow the American Academy of Pediatrics’ recommendation of “no TV for kids under 2.”

2. Isabel

This year, our family will spend less time in front of the TV screen and more time enjoying the games and puzzles that we got as gifts.

3. Jessica

Many parents know that their child is spending far too much time playing video games, but the child’s dependency is so strong that the parents give up trying to set limits. My resolution is to let other parents know how crucial it is to intervene, and assure them that by helping a child overcome an addiction, they can make a profound difference in the family’s life.

4. Bonnie Gratz

My resolution is to encourage positive use of technology. My two sons (ages 10 & 7) are really interested in watching silly youtube videos. This Christmas holiday break we have been encouraging them to create their own stories and animations and film them on their own. We then have movie nights showing our family the results of all of their work. It has been great fun,challenges them creatively and really empowering.
    Bonnie Gratz, Calgary

5. Dee

Because it is so tempting to plop my extremely active three year old in front of the TV when I need a break, I have decided that this year I need to do a better job of planning ahead for those inevitable moments with activities that allow for her to be relatively independent (and also give me a break) for example, play dates, play dough, and a super kid friendly play room that lets her begin an activity on her own. I have also found that she loves bath time (supervised of course) during the day with her bath toys and I can even read and watch her at the same time from the comfort of my bed! A total win-win.

6. Margaret Carreiro

Our power was out for a full week this past September due to Hurricane Ike. Suddenly, we discovered there were children in the neighborhood, since they could be seen actually playing outside. I met new neighbors, and we chatted casually on the street and helped each other. I played games by candlelight with nearby friends, and we had such a good time. This storm definitely strengthened community bonds. This year, I want to make more time for socializing with friends and neighbors–having them to dinner, playing games or puzzles, discussing books, relearning the art of conversation–instead of automatically putting on a DVD movie for passive entertainment even when friends are over. What goes around comes around. Our society is already too fragmented and isolating. There is no need to allow TV to separate us further.
    Margaret, Louisville, KY

7. Andi

I’ve gotten in the habit of watching tv while playing with my infant. My resolution is to turn the tv off while she’s awake so that I can make the most of my time with her. The tv is really on just for background noise, but I find that even the news and cooking shows are mesmerizing her! We’re going to use music as background noise from now on.

8. Sally

I will spend a little time on WoogiWorld, Facebook, and GoodReads interacting with my kids and their friends. Strangely, they love getting attention from me this way, and I think it helps them remember that the Internet is a public forum.

9. Harriet

I would say that my New Year’s Resolution is to be more vigilant about asking other parents what movies my son will be entertained by during sleepovers. I have learned after the fact that I should have asked more specific questions about what is being viewed or played during sleepovers. I assume (wrongly) that other families follow similar media guidelines, and that is not the case. I was stunned, for example, when Matthew came home having seen “Jaws” at his best friend’s house. It NEVER would have occurred to me that anyone would think that was fun (or appropriate) for an 8 year old, so I didn’t ask specifically what PG movie they would be watching. I should have, and I regret that I did not.

10. Courtney

Chance is only two. As part of our night routine after his bath, we sit together in the rocking chair with his blankets and Curious George to watch a movie of his choice. He actually loves being able to pick it out. We don’t usually make it to the end due to his bedtime of 7, and it’s easier when I’m not working until 6. But he loves it, and I love sitting there rocking him. It’s usually a Wiggles video, Elmo, Sesame Street, or Baby Einstein, so there’s always “Mama Sing” involved!

11. Angela

Being a personal trainer, I am well aware that the childhood obesity rate has more than doubled for preschool children aged 2-5 years over the past three decades. I’m sure that TV, hand-held games, noisy toys, and videos are all part of the problem because kids are being sedentary. Even though my son is very young, I’ve already made an effort to incorporate physical activity into his life. We recently converted one room in our house to be like a play gym, with mats and tunnels for him to crawl around in. This year, as he grows, I will continue to create lots of opportunities for him to interact with the physical environment rather than passively use media.

12. Barney and Michelle

As parents, we’ve resolved to help our two girls pursue activities THEY are inclined to, by taking more time observing and being open minded. Our only requirement is they are physically and mentally active. Already we’ve enrolled our 8-year-old Della in a “Skip itz” jump rope program with the Boulder Rec center. Della loves to jump rope, and when she found in class that it can be competitive, a light bulb went off. It was great to see. She’s a real jumping bean.
    As a dad who works a lot from home, its easy to NOT interact with the kids and blame the pile of work on my house desk, so Dad has resolved to play at least one board game on days when they don’t have gymnastics (4-5x a week) with both girls, from princess monopoly to charade’s for kids. Quickly the girls have come to expect this, and they will ask to play a game instead of turning on the TV. Dad has realized pulling away from the desk for a mental game break is good for his productivity as well.
    Though its a budget buster, 5th graders in Colorado get a free ski pass to every resort, so we are also resolved to going around the state to ski with the girls this winter. To save $$$ for this, we are cooking at home much more, and our kids are involved with both meal planning, ingredient shopping, and meal cooking. Instead of a TV on while cooking, its music, except when TOP CHIEF or American Idol is on