What’s Media Literacy?
Media literacy is the ability to understand how mass media works and media literacy education is the approach to protect children and adolescents from the unhealthy effects of media by giving them tools to think critically about messages in the media. Media literacy is also about engaging young people in creating media so that they begin to
understand and appreciate how producers use specific techniques to influence the audience.
Here's a list of media literacy organizations and resources:
- What is Media Literacy? by Media Awareness Network
- Key Facts-Media Literacy by Kaiser Family Foundation
- What is Media Literacy? A Definition…and More by Center on Media Literacy
Media Literacy Organizations
- The Center for Media Literacy is an educational organization that provides leadership, public education, professional development and educational resources nationally.
- Media Awareness Network is a Canadian group with a wealth of information for parents. In English and French.
- Media Literacy Clearinghouse: An internationally recognized website for K-12 educators.
- National Association of Media Literacy Education is a national membership organization dedicated to advancing the field of media literacy education in the United States.
- The Media Education Foundation produces and distributes documentary films and other educational resources to inspire critical reflection on the social, political, and cultural impact of American mass media.
- iKeepSafe-C3 Matrix helps educators integrate the essentials of cyber-safety, cyber-security, and cyber-ethics (C3 concepts) into existing technology and literacy standards and curricula.
- Gateway Media Literacy Partners aims to attract individuals, organizations and institutions who as community citizens strongly believe media literacy is a democracy skill, is a survival skill and a nexus for change, vital to developing critical thinking, and media literacy empowers citizens to make intelligent and healthy choices throughout their lifetime.
Media Literacy Journals
Media Literacy Reports
- Digital World of Young Children: Impact of Emergent Literacy – research white paper from the Pearson Foundation on the effects of digital media on young children’s learning.
- Cable in the Classroom-reports and briefs about media literacy in the classroom